Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Tap water vs bottled water


People purchase and drink bottled water because they believe it tastes different from tap water, it is more convenient, and they assume it is safer than tap water. People like the taste of bottled bottle more than tap water. People often question their local tap water and this causes them to pay less attention to their public systems. They buy bottled water because it is more convenient for them. When people are on the go, can buy a bottled water at their nearest store. As a result, people instead spend billions of dollars on bottled and pay up to 1,000 times the cost of their local tap water. In the United States, people believe bottled water safer and more refined water than tap water. Bottled water has to meet different set of standards than tap water and this does not necessary mean bottled water is safe. Certain brands of bottled water have been shown to have more contaminants than tap water because it can be exposed to harmful chemical. Some of the bottled waters being sold may not meet the drinking water standards. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) only has one official, who is responsible for overseeing all of the bottled water sold in the United States and has less stringent standards than The Environmental Protection Agency standard (EPA). The EPA regulates tap water under the Safe Water Drinking Act (SDWA). Bottled waters can harm the environment and animals. It wastes fossil fuels in production and transportation. Bottled waters produce millions of tons of plastic wastes per year. Millions of plastic bottles a day go into the trash, or even more become littered. Most of it ends up in landfills, lakes, streams and oceans instead of being recycled. It is harmful for many sea animals. They often mistake bottled water for food. If bottled waters were eliminated than it would eliminate the biggest problem facing our environment. 

6 comments:

  1. I do think that bottled water tastes better than tap water, but I never thought about which would be safer. Most bottled waters are bought for convenience, so I understand that aspect. I think it's important that people try and use reusable water bottles too and fill it with tap water to produce less plastic bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the taste of bottle water, but that is not the reason why I would buy it. I usually buy it when I do not have any water. I always have a water container to refill my water. I agree that water bottles cost money and provide many issues. People should have a bottle and refill it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually prefer bottled water. To me, it does kind of have a different taste (if water even has a taste). I may just be paranoid because I feel like tap water from the sink isn't as clean as bottled water? I've heard it's not bad and it's like bottled water, but I get paranoid about it so I avoid it. I do however agree that bottle waters do cause a lot of pollution. Last semester, I actually researched and did a presentation on recycling, and I found out a lot about all the pollution caused from plastic bottles and such. So although i do prefer bottled waters, I do believe it's important to use as little as possible. What I do is usually fill up washable water bottle with the fridge water because I know it's filtered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer to drink bottled water over tap water. I feel as if bottled water is safer than tap water. Bottled was just seems cleaner than tap water. Doctors and dentists have told me that tap water is actually safe because it has flouride in it, which is good for your teeth. The only way I would drink tap water is if I have a filter. Speaking of water, I actually need to drink more of it. I don't like to drink water, I prefer to drink juices and sodas. When I do drink water, I always recycle my bottles. I like to keep my water bottles to put other drinks in them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From a practical standpoint, I always drink filtered tap water when I am at home and I always fill up a water bottle when I leave. Between the water I drink at home and the water I take with me, I don't usually need to drink from water fountains or buy bottled water. II also think it is funny that a lot of bottled water brands (DASANI) put sodium in the water, which stimulates additional thirst. Filtered tap water tastes "clean" to me. It is not overtly mineral-y tasting, but it isn't as plain as distilled water. I really like my reusable water bottle, I had a good stainless steel one for a long time and just got a BPA free plastic one recently because it has a larger capacity. I totally agree with Jason

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been drinking filtered tap water as well. I use bottled water bottles as containers. But, I've been told it might not be a good idea to use them as long-term containers because they degrade into the liquid I drink. I understand the convenience of bottled water, but bottle water creates a recycling issue and I still think not enough people know how to recycle properly. I am really indifferent about the taste of bottled vs tap water, but I don't buy bottled water because to me it feels like a waste of money when I could probably find a water fountain easily.

    ReplyDelete